[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Persistent Train

Last night I was able to get in a few hours observing. At about
3:20 AM a fast -2 to -4 mag. meteor flashed a short 10 degrees or so
between the Gemini stars Castor and Pollux, north of Orions Belt,
leaving behind a smoky train that persisted for more than two minutes.
Before the train dispersed it moved well out from between the stars
toward the northwest.

     I hope Bob Lunsford saw this to give a better magnitute rating
and say how long the train was visible as it fades out much quicker in
my light polluted area. I couldn't see the Andromeda Galaxy without my
binoculars. As for the meteor, I saw it at the limits of bending my
head backwards as it appeared exactly opposite of the direction I was
facing but I was able to see it all.

     Something I was wondering, I figured the train was about 1150
feet wide (350 meters), aproximately .25 degree at 50 miles (80 km).
So, what are the dynamics, in plain English, to cause a golf ball
sized meteor 1.75 inch (44.45 mm) to spray a train out over 7800
times its own width?

   Clear skies at last.             Dave English