[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Wavy "telescopic" meteor photo

GWG wrote:

> I have heard that some meteors
> are wavy, but I was wondering if wavy trails for meteors are more common with
> telescopic meteors than naked-eye ones?

I don't recall ever seeing a wavy or curved telescopic meteor.

I suspect that many curved meteors arise because the observer moves
their head or the meteor is seen near a straight-edge like a roof.
Neither of these is present when observing telescopically.

Joseph added:
> 	Query:  Are wavy meteoric trajectoies more probable thru a scope
> or binocs??  Malcolm??

In theory the magnification should help you see more detail, but most
traverse the field of view (FOV) very quickly, especially at the 19.5x
magnification, 2.6 degree FOV I use.  To see subtle lateral motion I
think you'd probably opt for the wider FOV.  Wide-field, low power
binoculars might give the best of both worlds.

Trains are another matter.  The magnification does certainly help to
see detail in even short-duration trains.  Some of these do exhibit
periodic patterns including waves and ripples, but they are rare.
Most trains look like transparent pipes which disperse about the mean
position, but also drfit with respect to the trail.  Some subtle
motions can be seen. They're normally a arcminutes per second.  On my
plotting chart I usually mark the width of persistent trains and the
extent of motion in a specified time.

Malcolm