[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Orionids Summary

I got in observations on 3 successive nights. I picked the night of Oct. 19/20 to head for Mt. Hood and darker skies than my suburban house. It looks like I chose the right night, as there were many meteors and the weather was active.

October 18/19: I observed for two hours from my backyard (LM=6.1) and saw only 11 Orionids and 1 Epsilon Geminid. Most astonishing were the sporadic rates, completely in the toilet with only 4 observed! Taurids were also absent.

October 19/20: I observed for three hours from Mt. Hood (LM=6.5) and counted 52 ORI, 49 SPO, 10! EGE and 4 Taurids. A decent night, about what I expected based on last year's observations. Two ORI fireballs, a -4 with a violet tinge and a -3.

October 20/21: Back to the backyard for two hours, and another slow go. Only 10 ORI, 10 SPO, and 4 Taurids. No EGE that morning.

Reports to follow.

--
Wes Stone
Portland, OR