[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Temiscaming Results

Hi Steve,

Sorry, I didn't see your second message until after I sent the first reply.

Car radio??? Believe it or not, my car radio only covers the AM band.
Bizzare, eh!

I have used the term 'backscatter' with respect to The Temiscaming Project,
but I don't particularly like it. Backscatter in the sense of tropospheric
and ionospheric propagation produces weak-signal propagation. And since
this is where the term is used most often, I prefer to leave it this way.
Since meteor trails are essentially cylindrical reflectors, even though the
signal is coming back in the direction from which it was transmitted, it is
still as strong as the 'forward scatter' signals--assuming the meteor
location and geometry are suitable.

About your comment: "Radio reflections from meteors at 100 MHz generally
come from the head of the meteor rather than the ionized train following
behind," what makes you think so? If this were so, there could be no
destructive interference on overdense trails--which is well documented.

73
Phil, VA3ACK