[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Re: Cetids

Hello Jim,

> catagory.  The main point is that once a meteor is recorded on video tape
> it is no longer a fleeting "ephemerid" (if I might coin a term), gone
> before you can nail its position to the sky; it is FOREVER (or essentially
> so in all practicality).  I agree with an earlier comment about video
> meteor observing, you can quickly become buried in video tapes.  Quite
> true, but Hey!!, I love it!!!  I have to confess, I am not the greatest
> when it comes to reducing the data.  I plot some on star charts and wish I
> had more time to make some real progress on data reduction software.  The

it's indeed fun to collect 'nice' video data, but believe me: Once you
will reach the point where it will not satisfy you anymore to just pile up
video tapes without doing any kind of data reduction. Without reduction
video observation is more or less (scientifically) useless!

Forget about manual data reduction. That may work if you have a handfull
of meteors, but nobody will be crazy enough to do this tremendous work
on hundreds of meteors by hand.

If you have problems with your data reduction software, why don't you take
a package that is already available? There are two programs which serve
just that purpose (Pete's MeteorScan and my MetRec). They are cheap / free
and they contain a lot knowledge about meteor detection. That's something
you don't code in a few days. I've been work hard for 1.5 years now on
MetRec - that's about a thousand working hours...

Best regards, Sirko

--
*  Dipl.-Inform. Sirko Molau                  *                          *
*  RWTH Aachen, Lehrstuhl fuer Informatik VI  *              __          *