[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) glasses

Since I wear trifocals normally I have far sighted monofocals of the
large frameless lenses made for viewing meteors 8-).  I also have them
made with a low reflection coating in the hopes that that will improve
their performance.  In truth I cannot detect a difference with or
without the coating in the night. In spite of that I would  have them
coated anyhow.  However when night hiking without the aid of flashlights
one can actually see better without your glasses than you can with them
under some conditions.  The person I learned this from was very near
sighted and it works well for me and I am very far sighted.  The only
explanation I can think of for this is that the reflection of the whites
of your eyes and your skin in your glasses reduces the contrast of
objects in your vision.  If that were true, black grease paint around
the eyes would improve the image contrast you see.  However if you put
on black grease paint it would be hard to flick it on and off to test
the improvement %-\.  I just caught an image of a group of meteor
observers all walking around with big black eyes looking like a heard of
Giant Pandas :-D.