[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) re: Leonid resonance

Title: re: Leonid resonance

My understanding is this. The orbital period of 55P is approximately. 33 years, period of Jupiter about 11.8 years (relative to earth time) thus the ratio 14/5 or 2.8 orbits of Jupiter to 1 of the comet. So, at every perihelion of the comet, when it ejects matter, there is some gravitational influence from Jupiter and every 5th orbit of the comet it's position to Jupiter is repeated (more or less). Now I wonder,

1) Is the resonance effect a gravitational attraction or a null zone like the LaGrange points between the Sun/Earth
2) Is the greatest influence of the effect when Jupiter is nearest the comet perihelion ?
Again, I thank you for the opportunity to learn and if you choose to answer please do so at your convenience.
 Any Comments?