[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) NASA Space Science News: Thursday's Classroomprepares for th...

In a message dated 10/28/99 11:19:46 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Skywayinc@aol.com writes:

<<
 "Experts think that this year's Leonids be even better, with peak rates
 greater than 40 shooting stars every second. The place to be on November 18,
 1999 is certainly outside and looking up!"

     Hmmm . . . is that REALLY what the "experts" think?  To my knowledge,
 nobody is calling for a recurrence of, or a rivaling of the rates that were
 attained in 1966.  My own feelings are that ~20,000 per hour (~5 per second)
 would be the uppermost limit that anyone could hope for from this year's
 Leonids.  A majority of the other experts are actually suggesting rates in
 the 1,000 to 5,000 per hour range.  It is unfortunate that the numbers
quoted
 above are not being stressed as opposed to ballyhooing the "pie-in-the-sky"
 numbers of 1966!

Sounds like either way it would be an amazing experience :)