[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) [Fwd: Dark sky sites]

-- BEGIN included message

This is my first post to the mailing list. I am a 53 year old meteor
lover
who over the last 3 or 4 years have really started trying to observe all

the major showers. Sometimes with members of our local astronomy club
(RVAS) and sometimes alone I have pulled many "all nighters" including
last
November for the Leonids. That "fireball" shower was truly the highlight
of
my astronomy career and have been waiting eagerly for Nov 16/17 and
17/18 of
this year. I have read so much on this years possibilities and as time
is getting
closer I want to give myself every chance to witness the shower.
Roanoke,Va.'s
November nights are "shaky" at best. If the forecast looks "bleak"
(cloudy,etc)
I am prepared to either drive or even fly to a part of the U.S. that
might have
clear skies. Does anyone have any suggestions for any dark sky sites
within 400
or 500 miles from Roanoke,Va? I've even considered flying to Las Vegas
and
then driving to Death Valley but from all accounts that I have read it
sounds like
the east coast has a better chance of a "storm" than the west coast.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. I enjoy reading the "meteor"
postings
and hope we all have clear skies in mid November.

Regards,
Donnie Grisso

-- END included message