[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) questions on observing

1.)  Years ago we frequently saw the advice of "one should not face the
radiant when observing meteors".  Is that ever good advice?

2.) Number one was rather academic to me  when I graduated from viewing
meteors in a reclining lawn chair to facing the zenith on an army cot.
Is there anything wrong with this approach since the only data I am
recording is either hand counters or a computer which I don't have to
look at?

3.) Also number one is hard to observe in light of the fact that by dawn
the radiant of at least the Perseids and the Leonids are very near the
local meridian.  In fact I thought that a criteria for a good shower was
that the radiant would be in the direction of the earths motion at dawn
which these two are.  Is that true?  It has been a long time since I
observed the Geminids but I do not think that was true of them and it
was a good shower in quantity but lacked quality.