[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fwd: [Astronomer] Observation -- Possible meteorite?

Dave and Wayne, I was somewhat confused by your advice re: point meteors and
Iridiums. I don't watch for the Iridiums - don't even check their times when I'm
going out to observe, before or after. So I've probably seen less than my share
of Iridium flares. But every single Iridium flare I've ever seen showed at least
SOME perceptible motion: point meteors on the other hand, show no detectable
motion for me (though they may for sharper eyes - note how few of these Bob
Lunsford sees, for example). Are there in fact Iridiums which flash so briefly
that they're only visible above mag 5/6/7 for subsecond time periods?

PS: I haven't NOTICED any significant increase in my point meteor rates since
the Iridiums went up... Of course, I'm sure some of what I've logged as point
meteors were very slow - even geosyncronous - satellite flashes. Never thought
to check prediction services for these flashers after the fact! After all, I see
so few point meteors per year, it hardly seems worth it.

Clear skies,
Lew

Follow-Ups: References: