[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: Linearids / Gamma Ursae Majorids

Op Tue, 2 Nov 1999, Malcolm J. Currie schreef:

> Nippon Meteor Society observers reported it in a poster paper at the
> Smolenice IMC calling it the IRAS-Araki-Alcockids, a bit of a mouthful.
> Mark Vints, in 1990, was the first AFAIK to detect the shower
> telescopically.  I called the shower the theta-Herculids.  It's
> exhibited weaker telescopic activity since then.  Is there a article
> available describing the DMS observations?  I'd like to be sure that we
> are indeed observing the same shower.
>
> Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

There is no real paper giving the details of our DMS observations -they
have just been noted in several small observational reports of Koen and
me in 'Radiant', and in priv. com's with fellow DMS members such as with
Reinder. I issued a call for observations in 'Radiant' on a few occasions.
They are mentioned in passing only in Peter Jenniskens 1994 A&A Meteor
stream activity I paper, noting that they exists but have too meagre
observational data yet to allow a profile to be constructed. In essence, in
the case of Koen and me it concerns
meteors we observe coming from a radiant at about RA 19h12m, dec. +44
(and mediumfast, Quadrantid like) in a few days only around May 9-10; but
rates are very low, 1-2 an hour typically at best. Still, we observed
them several years now.

- Marco