[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) november 5 fireball

In a message dated 11/8/99 4:05:39 PM Eastern Standard Time,
barke009@hotmail.com writes:

> i reported a similar sighting nov 5 and am very inexperienced.  however,
>  because i was in downtown raleigh nc, i know excactly where i was, i have
>  30 story building i can use as a reference, and even remember the general
>  angle of my chin and turn of my head as i was following the phenomenon
>  across the sky.  is there some quick and easy reference that i could
consult

>  that would tell me how to translate these things into relevant numbers?
is
>  there the same reference that will tell me exactly which relevant numbers
>  are needed and what they mean?  i would really like to document this as
>  fully as possible, but i don't know how. for god's sake, i'm a biologist,
>  not an astronomer!

Thats OK Sean,
We can help you work it out.
First thing to remember is what time it was exact if you have it, or a close
approximate if you don't.

Second in relation to that bldg. which direction we're you facing? Remember
the Sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

Thirdly how high up did it "start"?  Straight along the ground is 0o (o
=degrees). Pointing directly over your head is 90o . Work out the degrees
like your body is the protractor. Halfway between 0 and 90 is 45o.  Now can
you remember in relation to the bldg. height where it "ended"?

Fourth - did it fragment or break up?

Fifth - did you hear a sound that appears to have come from the meteor?

Sixth - did it show a color?

Seventh - How fast was it? Was it fast enough where if you had blinked, would
you have missed it. Or was it slow, like watching a plane fly overhead?
Somewhere in between?

Eighth - How bright was it? Was it like a streetlight? Was it as bright as
Jupiter?

Thats pretty much all the questions that need answering (I'm sure I missed
one or two). ;-)
But as you watch for them - if you decide - more and more all these answers
will come easier.

KevinK