[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid Meteors in the Classroom!

PBitterly@aol.com wrote:

> 1. Where would I look in the sky to see this event?

That all depends on what time to are watching. Near midnight it would be
better to face toward the east to keep the bright moon at your back.
Also at this time Leo is low in the eastern sky and most of the activity
will be limited to the eastern half of the sky. As the night progresses
well past midnight the moon will have set and activity will be seen in
all areas of the sky.

> 2. What would be the best day to start observing?

You can start this weekend and see low activity from the Leonids. The
most active nights will be the 16/17, 17/18, and 18/19. The great
majority of the activity will occur on Thursday morning November 18.

> 3. What would be the best time? AM or PM EST. to start observing?

From North America I would suggest starting your watch at 11pm. On
Wednesday the 17th, between 11pm and midnight, there should be some very
long Leonids being seen. The rates will be low but the individual
meteors should be spectacular. The rates will climb as the night
progresses but the meteors be become shorter and fainter.

> 4. How many days is this expected to last?

The Leonid activity lasts for about one week centered on November 18th.

Good Luck to ALL!

Bob Lunsford