[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: [amastro] NonLINEARids

This is forwarded sans permission, from the amateur-professional 'amastro' list,
which is mainly focused on serious deep-sky observation. Alister Ling is NOT a
current subscriber to our 'meteorobs' list for some unknown reason... So if you
wish to respond, please be sure to MANUALLY put 'watcher@freenet.edmonton.abdot ca'
in the "Cc:" line of your reply. Thanks all, clear skies for the Leonids!

Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>

>From: watcher@freenet.edmonton.abdot ca
>Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 05:00:44 -0700 (MST)
>Subject: [amastro] NonLINEARids

Hi gang,

Hoping madly, a bunch of us went out to observe the LINEARid meteor
shower.

>From Nov 11 05:00 UT - 10:30 UT our rate was about 1-1.5 per hour. We were
fighting 2/3 sky aurora most of the time, with skies varying between mag
2.0 and 6.3, on a time scale of seconds and space scale of 5 degrees. The
rate was basically constant, and represented the total of 2-3 people. Saw
a fair number of Taurids and a couple of early Leonids and a few
sprodaics.

Our conclusion: given the lack of a change of rate despite increasing
altitude of radiant (one can say the ZHR went down), and that the few
observed meteors could have been sporadics that approximated the radiant
and speed, we feel that we probably did not see any that truly belonged.

On the other hand, nothing ventured nothing gained...and we did see some
interesting aurora.

Alister.