[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Nov 10/11 Meteor Observations From California

Another 3 hour watch this morning yielded 44 meteors but no Linearid
candidates. A probable Leonid was seen during the first hour of the
session. The Northern Taurids were well represented but no Southern
Taurids were seen. Both the Apex radiant and the radiant in northern
Cancer were both active again producing slightly over 1 meteor per hour
from each radiant.

I may try to watch for any Linearid activity after dusk tonight but this
will be my last remote session until I arrive in Europe for the Leonid
maximum. I don't know when or where I will be watching from over there
but the data is bound to be delayed. Good luck to everyone with their
Leonid watching plans!

November 10/11 1999

1015-1115 UT  0.91  6.65  4 NTA   1 LEO  0 STA   10 SPO    15  TOTAL
1115-1215 UT  0.92  6.62  3 NTA   0 LEO  0 STA   11 SPO    14  TOTAL
1215-1315 UT  0.91  6.40  0 NTA   0 LEO  0 STA   15 SPO    15  TOTAL

TOTALS:       2.74  6.74  7 NTA   1 LEO  0 STA   36 SPO    44  TOTAL

The first column gives the period watched stated in Universal Time (UT)
which is PST + 8 hours. The second column gives the percent of that
particular hour actually spent observing the sky. Time was lost for
plotting and data entry tonight. The third column gives the average
limiting magnitude estimated during each period with a minimum of 4
estimates using at least 2 and preferably 3 different sky areas close to
my center of view. The last several columns list the activity seen
during each period.

I was facing East at an altitude of 60 degrees during the entire
session. No breaks were taken. LEO = Leonids, NTA = Northern Taurids,
STA = Southern Taurids, and SPO = Sporadic (random activity).

Beginning Temperature/Relative Humidity:   37 F (3 C)  40%
Ending         "         "         "       35 F (2 C)  45%

MAGNITUDES:

LEO:   +1 (1)                                            AVERAGE: +1.00
NTA:    0 (1) +2 (2) +3 (2)+4 (2)                        AVERAGE: +2.57
SPO    -1 (1) 0 (1) +1 (4) +2 (7) +3 (10) +4 (11) +5 (2) AVERAGE: +2.81

Bob Lunsford
San Diego, CA USA