[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) IMO-NEWS: IMO Leonid info

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 18:21:25 +0100 (MET)
From: "Marc.Gyssens" <gyssens@charlie.luc.acdot be>
To: meteorobs@jovian.com
cc: gbal@unimt.mt
Subject: IMO Leonid info

I N T E R N A T I O N A L   M E T E O R   O R G A N I Z A T I O N

                          The 1999 Leonids
                          ================

Dear Meteor Friend,

There is no need for telling you that this year's Leonids may well
produce very high activity, most likely over European longitudes,
as the most probable peak time is around 3h UT on November 18, 1999.
For your information, we provide you in attachment with the following
documents:

1. Press Release;
2. Science Note;
3. Visual Observing Info.

In case a meteor storm materializes, it is no longer possible to
record all observing data a visual observer usually records, and,
therefore, you must make priorities. Document 3 is all about choosing
these priorities in such a way that later analyses can get the most
out of your observations, so we strongly urge you to study this!
It is a reprint of an article that appeared in the October 1999 issue
of WGN.

Furthermore, it is not unlikely that your local press may ask you
for information about the upcoming Leonid event. For this purpose,
Documents 1 and 2 (a short press release and more expanded
elaboration) may be useful. Provided proper credit is given, you are
welcome to use these documents in any manner that suits you.

Finally, note that the International Meteor Organization is currently
making arrangements to ensure, weather permitting, that reliable first
results will be available within hours after the above time. A press
release based on these results will also be forwarded to you.

Kind regards,

Marc Gyssens
Council Member

email: wgn@imodot net