[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Linearids observed!

> Of course, at least 2 or more would pinpoint the radiant, but only one
> was seen! However, I think its incorrect to say "One meteor means
> nothing". The meteor was observed traversing Draco and Cygnus. The path
> of this single meteor traced backwards through the center of the bowl of
> the big dipper. While its possible the radiant lay actually somewhere in
> Draco or Ursa minor, its also most probable to have come from the
> Linearids, because there is no known other radiant between. The path
> length (20 deg) and moderate velocity also favor the Linearid radiant.

Did you plot the meteor, or is this just a guess. I'm not saying that it wasn't
a Linearid, but it seems that there was very little of any activity from Linearids.
Earlier during the previous week I had several fast, very Per-like meteors from
the bowl of the Big Dipper, but they all proved to be sporadics.
Perhaps there was too much talk about Linearids on meteorobs and everyone
got a picture that something *big* is about to happen. Sometimes inexperienced
observers (I am not talking about  Mr. Linnolt or anyone else in particular)
think that they should see something and so innocent sporadic meteors turn
into members of that (whatever) stream.
But, then again, who am I to talk about Linearids :) I was under a thick cloud
cover at the time of max...   ...we could have been bombarded by Linearids
and I wouldn't notice a thing :)

Clear skies and good luck with Leonids!!

Jure A.