[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Linearids observed!

Wayne,

Thanks for the detailed response. My point here, has been to try to show
that a single meteor observation is not so low value as is a common
perception. A lot depends on the accuracy of the trajectory observation
and resulting area of possible radiant (APR). Granted, 2 or more meteors
allow you to triangulate, and obtain a much smaller APR. (If I had 2 I
could have reduced my area from 160 deg^2 to maybe 30 deg^2). But, even
with my large APR, the calculations show the odds of a sporadic occuring
there is small.

You claim a 50 deg radius FOV, but I don't think any observer (certainly
not myself) will stare at the same spot. Normally, your eyes will be
rapidly scanning 20 degs or so around the center of FOV, even though you
may not be concious of that, so will gain a lot of area at the
periphery, maybe 10,000 deg^2 would be an average FOV.

My original calculation was a rough estimate. If I use a FOV around
10,000 deg^2, and also account for the fact that the radiant could not
have been at the origin of a 20 deg long track, so the APR drops to
maybe 4 x 25 degs, or 100 deg^2, the probability comes out:
(1-100/10000)^5 = 95.1% chance that no sporadic occured in my probable
radiant. Still, very small chance a sporadic accounted for my
observation.

Just to respond to a few specific points, below:
1.) I dont know why you need to adjust +/- 1 to my count for
"statistical analysis". I definitely saw one bright potential Linearid,
not 2 or 0.
2.) My sporadic rate was low, but probably just an anomaly. Most of my
sporadics were observed in clusters, with long periods of total absence
of meteors, and oddly they occured earlier in the evening.
3.) I am not saying my observation is "proof" of Linearid, just that its
highly likely to be one, from statistical analysis. Especially since it
falls in the time interval when 2 other independent observers reported 9
Linearids.

Sincerely,
Mike Linnolt