[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) 13/14 Nov Leonids obs from Sicily

Greetings to all,
      After a daylong downpour here in Sicily on the 13th, the skies managed to
clear after midnight, so I ventured up to my "high-altitude" observing site on
Mt. Etna for an hour and 45 minutes of pre-dawn Teff.  Skies were mostly clear,
however, meteor activity was not exactly compelling.  The Leonids again showed
up in modest numbers, almost no Taurids and fairly decent sporadic activity:

November 13/14, 1999  Location:  Piano Provenzana, Mt. Etna, Sicily (1,500
meters elevation)

0215 - 0300 UT     z. s. 6.5   15% interference, haze and distant lightning
1 Leonid      9 sporadics    10 total  (3 sporadics came from the apex radiant
in Cancer)

0300 - 0400 UT     z. s. 6.5   10% interference, cirrus haze
3 Leonids    1 North Taurid   13 sporadics    17 total (3 sporadics came from
the apex radiant in Cancer)

The Leonids:  all four were faint, none above 3rd magnitude.  The last Leonid (a
+3) during the second period left a train along it's entire path of three
degrees.  No other Leonids were seen.  So far, most of the leonids I have seen
have shown up only in the final hour before morning twilight begins.  Most are
seen north of the radiant, short-pathed and faint.  Very easy to miss.

Weather in the Med is very unsettled.  Rain is predicted for the next two days
with a possible clearing trend on Wednesday!  It will be touch and go, all
prayers are being said!  Good luck to all, Paul Jones