[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) First Leonid - Nov. 15-16, 1999

Hi everyone,

Had to jump off the mountain early last night and come home to take care of
business.  I'll be back up on Haleakala for three more full nights of
observing.

I put in three hours last night, some before and some after radiant-rise.
No long grazing Leonids to report, though.  Actually, activity in general
was quite low:

Nov. 15-16, 1999
Time (UT)    Lm     LEO    SPO
0900-1000    6.0     0      4
1000-1100    6.5     0      4  Moonset at 1009
1100-1200    6.5     1      9

The single LEO was 3rd mag.  All seen from MSSS, Haleakala, Maui, 20 42
30.5 N, 156 15 28.7 W, Elev. 3048 m.

The video systems we are running for Dr. Peter Brown are working well; when
I left at 2 am, one LEO had been detected (a different one than I saw).
Conditions were quite pleasant last night, very little wind and temp. about
48 F.

Good luck to all as we move toward maximum.

Jim Bedient