[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fantastic Fireball -- 7PM Indiana Time -- Nov. 16 th

In a message dated 11/16/99 10:34:29 PM US Eastern Standard Time, NthWhovian
writes:

<< I agree that the radio report I heard was inaccurate to tie this to the
beginning of the Leonids.   >>

Many of us have now posted about this being a marvelous sporadic, and there
have been several speculations about space debris.  This was so amazing I
think we are almost reluctant to believe it was a true meteor.  Leonid or
not, it was almost unbelievable!

Here is what NASA is saying about it at http://www.leonidslive.com/:

BEGIN QUOTE

"Fireball lights up the sky over the midwest!: Reports of a large fireball
were received shortly after 7 pm EST on Tuesday night from states including
KY, PA, IN, OH, MI, WI and MO. The trajectory was similar in appearance to an
aircraft, flying low and level across the horizon. It is likely that this is
a Leonids "Earth-grazer" travelling nearly parallel to the Earth's surface
through the atmosphere and possibly a taste of things to come, The Leonids
meteor shower is expected to peak late Wednesday night into Thursday morning.
Stay tuned!"

END QUOTE