[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Fantastic Fireball -- 7PM Indiana Time -- Nov. 16 th

>Here is what NASA is saying about it at http://www.leonidslive.com/:
>
>BEGIN QUOTE
>
>"Fireball lights up the sky over the midwest!: Reports of a large fireball
>were received shortly after 7 pm EST on Tuesday night from states including
>KY, PA, IN, OH, MI, WI and MO. The trajectory was similar in appearance to
an
>aircraft, flying low and level across the horizon. It is likely that this
is
>a Leonids "Earth-grazer" travelling nearly parallel to the Earth's surface
>through the atmosphere and possibly a taste of things to come, The Leonids
>meteor shower is expected to peak late Wednesday night into Thursday
morning.
>Stay tuned!"

And I suspect this is wrong. Just because it's on a NASA site doesn't make
it right.

I suspect the writer dashed this off without full reports on the direction
of movement..which has been universally reported as west to east or NW to
SE.

Unfortunately, the fact it was on a NASA site means it will be even harder
to kill off the idea it's a Leonid :-)