[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) access to www.imodot net

Dear Meteor Friends,

Last year, www.imodot net crashed during the night of November 17 to 18 due to
extremely heavy traffic. I will do my best to try to avoid a repetition
this year, although, of course, I cannot promise - Murphy is indeed hard to
beat!

I have to mention two points in this connection.

1) Avoid to surf on www.imodot net between now and November 18, inclusive, if
   not really necessary. Regular updates of Leonid activity will be distributed
   as soon as they are available to the IMO-News and MeteorObs lists, even
   before they are put on the Web page, so you will be among the first to know.
   In this way, you help reducing the traffic on www.imodot net, which may be just
   what we need to avoid last year's problems.

2) Traffic at this time is already so heavy that normal users on the machine
   on which www.imodot net is running can no longer normally work. As a consequence
   you may expect access to www.imodot net to be periodically disabled for a short
   while (also for maintenance, such as removing lengthy log files etc.).
   I'll try to minimize this "dead time".

Notice that "express reports" of the kind suggested by me in an earlier mailing
should not only be sent to wgn@imodot net, but also to gyssens@hcoss.uia.acdot be
(for backup purposes, in case the former machine would crash because of heavy
traffic.).

Meanwhile, I wish you a lot of success with your observing tonight and look
forward to your feedback. The quicker I receive this (and the better you
adhere to the format I suggested) the quicker I will be able to distribute
some first information based on multiple sources!

Thank you again for your understanding for the above!

Marc Gyssens

I ask for your understanding for the above
vi