[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: RE: RE: (meteorobs) Start Time 10/17 on East coast USA

At 11:35 AM 1999-11-17 EST, you wrote:
>I had thought to be looking toward the eastern horizon at a time when the
Leo
>constellation will be rising here, which would be after midnight, I believe.
>Should I be looking some other way? Thanks.

You should be looking up from the horizon far enough that the horizon does
not obstruct your field of view. By watching the horizon, you are
effectively throwing away half of your field of view, in addition to
reducing your chances of seeing meteors due to what's called atmospheric
extinction. You are looking through much more of the atmosphere when
watching the horizon which will greatly reduce the magnitude, or
brilliance, of meteors. Watch upwards from 45 to 60 degrees from the horizon.

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA