[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid activity update - erratum and final RCN remarks

The abovementioned update is based on information at my disposal
on 1999 November 19, 0h UT. Sorry for forgetting to update the
date!

Unless very unusual activity would still develop, or very unusual
features in the activity profile would reveal themselves in the
very near future, this is the last message you will receive from me
in the context of rapid dissemination of first results on the 1999
Leonid peak.

I think I may say that the efoort the IMO undertook in this respect
was quite successful.

I wish to thank all observers who volunteered to fit in real-time
communication in their busy observing schedule or who emailed me
data at a time their bodies were telling them they should go to bed;
I also thank all observers who were very eager to contribute to the
IMO's efforts to have first results out immediately after the event,
but who were prevented from doing so due to poor weather. During
the last few days, I received quite a lot of moral support from
meteor workers encouraging us to go ahead with our initiative or
thanking us for the information received. In turn, I thank them
on behalf of the IMO for their encouragement. Finally, I also thank
all other observers who sent out reports of whatever nature; these
reports have also been very instrumental, because they have allowed
us to establish the validdity of our first conclusions.

Last not but least, I thank all subscribers to IMO News and MeteorObs
for exercising restraint in accessing the IMO Web site for news they
received anyway via these mailing lists; they have contributed to
preventing a crash of the Web site like last year. I apologize to
all surfers, because I had to disable Web site access several times
during short periods (mostly when most of you were out observing...)
for maintenance purposes or to make sure other important computer
tasks (such as making rapid communication of results possible ...)
were not compromised.

To all of you, my sincerest thanks; the 1999 Leonids IMO Rapid
Communication Network was a most gratifying experience to me!

Kind regards,

Marc Gyssens
wgn@imodot net

PS. From now on, do not longer use gyssens@hcoss.uia.acdot be!