[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from southern Ohio

My eyeballs feel as though they've been pickled in
rubbing alcohol. The inside of my head feels like it
has been scrubbed with coarse sandpaper. I suffer
temporary narcolepsy. Obviously, I am suffering a
Meteor Shower Hangover. And though my gears are gummed
up with grit and treacle, I seem to recall 2 nights of
 frost, on me and smeared across the sky. And meteors.

While poets and scientists scrambled for data and
metaphors, my wife and I made for southern Ohio, where
the Milky Way, an anachronism in these
neon-illuminated times, yet clouds the night sky. We
hoped for 2 nights of stellar frivolity.

Napping fitfully during the evenings, when the
darkness was soiled by the moon's polished silvery
glare, we managed a modicum of rest. Rising around
midnight, we covered ourselves with layers of clothing
and stiffly shuffled outside, stepping off the porch
of this rented cabin, into the lap of Orion.

- Can anyone remain unmoved by the sight of
magnificent Orion? -

Not surprisingly, there was no storm of meteors over
Ohio. There was a nice display of impossibly swift
Leonids, most of which displayed trains. Many were
tinted with yellow, or orange, or green..

There were numerous odds and ends: several blobs of
bright white light we call Taurids, a faint sporadic
which blazed across the sky like a fiery red comet, a
powder-blue ghostly flame which dropped heavily out of
the sky, small pieces of light tossed here and there
at random, the occasional mercury-like drip of
light........

.....and each ephemeral burst of light was a
joy..........

And then there were numbers......

Observer: Gregg M. Pasterick
Location: Adams County, Ohio
38degrees 51' North
83degress 31' West

Nov 17, 1999
Begin/End Time (UT)Teff Lmag F Leonids other  total
6:18 - 7:17        0.98 +6.0 1   5      13     19
7:18 - 8:17        0.98 +6.0 1   6       9     15
8:38 - 10:12       1.53 +6.0 1  19      11     30

Nov 18, 1999
Begin/End Time (UT)Teff Lmag F Leonids other  total
5:40 - 6:39        0.97 +5.0 1  15      4      19
6:40 - 7:39        0.97 +6.0 1  19      5      24
7:55 - 8:54        0.95 +6.0 1  37      2      39
8:55 - 9:54        0.95 +6.0 1  36      3      39

Leonid Magnitude Distrubtion

+6   5   4    3    2    1    0   -1  -2   -3  -4
 6  12   9   18   28   30   19   11   1    2   1

Avg. Mag.:  +1.77

Leonids Color Distribution
White: 95
Blue: 15
Green: 3
Yellow: 14
Orange: 9
Red: 1

=====
TRYIN' A MESSAGE BOARD THROUGH MY WEB PAGE....GO TO.....
    - http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/4242

Ring Leader of the Planet Ohio Nature Sites Web Ring
    - http://pages.prodigy.com/daddy
Overseer of the Planet Ohio mail list for Ohio Nature Lovers
    - http://www.egroups.com/list/ohio-nature