[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Info/help required for developing Leonid 99 film...

Hi everyone...

I tried my hand at photographing the Leonids (first time using an SLR) Using
Fuji 400 Slide film, Canon T4 with 28mm lens, F2.8 aperture, manual shutter
release cable, fixed tripod... I managed to shoot 36 exposures, some lasting
for a very short time (less than 30 secs), and others lasting up to 15
minutes (when there was no activity).

I wondered if anyone could give me any special instructions for getting the
images developed please?

I've read that some people 'hyper-sensitize' their images using gas & low
temperatures, but I'm not sure if this is done before or after the pictures
have been taken?

I also thought about getting the images transferred directly to Compact
Disc.  Any thoughts?

Also, what is the shortest exposure time I could reasonably expect to use
(next time I'm out observing) to get the background stars exposed? (Given
the above equipment)

I'm also curious to see what other people think about how I could improve
things... Here's what I'm considering:
1. Buying a piggy-back mount to allow me to lock the camera to the barrel of
my ETX-90EC telescope. This would at least allow tracking.
2. Purchase of a camera (SLR) with motor drive, that allows (for example) a
5 minute exposure, then automatically winds on to the next (5 minute)
exposure. (This would allow complete unattended operation). Does anyone
knows of a camera that allow such a function?
3. Purchase of a 20mm lens. Would this give sufficient coverage of the sky
without going to a radical fisheye? What I did notice was that a 28mm lens
simply didn't cover much of the sky, so it was just sheer luck that the
camera happened to be pointing in the general direction of a Leonid a few
times (well I hope it was anyway!).

Any info for a first timer would be greatly appreciated - Thanks.

Regards, Greg Hudson. (ghudson@hudsoft.com)

Follow-Ups: References: