[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid meteor storm 1999!

Hello to all,

WOW!!!! What a dazzling meteor storm!!!!!!!!!

I have just arrived from a wonderful expedition in Europe (more
precisely southern Spain) led by the International Meteor
Organization (IMO), and way too TIRED too produce any reports at this
time other than to say overwhelming Leonids rates were seen, and
under clear skies. The 1999 Leonid storm was dazzling, especially
when rates exceeded one per second (stronger than expected)!!
However the peak was short lived. Most meteors were on the faint
side, but there was an increase of brighter meteors after the peak.

For me, all the effort spent into attending the IMO meteor expedition
was truly worthwhile. The Leonid storm in 1999 appeared almost right
on schedule from the predicted time.

I will decode my tapes asap, and report back the results and details
when I can,

Pierre Martin
(back in Ottawa, Ontario)