[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Possible daytime fireball?? (15 Nov 1999, 13:30 CST)

NOTE: Debra is not a 'meteorobs' subscriber. If you wish to follow up, please
MANUALLY put 'brudee@bayou.com' in the "Cc:" line of your reply. Debra, I have
forwarded your report (along with address/phone) to the Fireball Data Center in
Germany, and to a NASA/USAF team which studies fireballs. If you can, please try
to fill out a report DIRECTLY to FiDaC in Germany, via this Web form:

    http://www.imodot net/fireball/report.html

Clear skies and thanks for your message!
Lew Gramer <owner-meteorobs@jovian.com>

------- Forwarded Message

From: "Bruce Alexander" <brudee@bayou.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Subject: Meteor
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 10:44:55 -0600

    Dear Sirs

I have a question!  On November 15, 1999  at 1:30 p.m. I was walking to the mail
box and looked up in the sky.  I saw a falling object that was smoldering and
trailing brown smoke.  The smoke trail was about 30 to 50 feet in length. I
contacted the police because I thought it could be a airplane engine. I had
heard a loud noise like a plane just prior to seeing the object falling.

The FAA could not find a missing plane or a plane with a missing engine, so I am
now wondering if what I saw could have been a meteor. Your view on this would be
appreciated.

Thank you,
Debra Alexander
[ADDRESS DELETED]