[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Canadian Leonids in Malaga...

Greetings all,

The following is a summary of my 99 Leonid results for the max night, Nov
17/18, as seen from near Malaga, Spain.  It is only a summary.  A full
report will be sent to IMO after much more number crunching and more
ingestion of head cold remedies!

Uncorrected rates are as follows, with actual number of Leonids seen, raw
hourly figures, and average meteor magnitude per noted period.  Breaks are
indicated to show where figures are not comparable.  As requested by the
IMO, I have broken it down by one minute periods (excluding the very
beginning and end of the night).

Average limiting magnitude over the night with my perception was estimated
as 6.0.  This observer wears eyeglasses.  As my perception is not anywhere
as good as the younger observers, I cannot see the fainter meteors, and as
such, did not have nearly as many meteors to count.  Due to this, I
continued to call meteor magnitudes over the maximum time, and did not
switch to any other method.  My totals for the night, just under 5.5 hours,
came out to 921 meteors, of which 26 were sporadics, 3 North Taurids, 1
South Taurid, 2 Alpha Monocerotids, and 889 Leonids.

A sky obstruction factor would also come into play as I was not lying flat
on the ground watching the zenith, but was propped up in a field against the
tire of a Peugeut car, and subsequently had part of my zenith area beyond my
sight.  Obstruction percentage is estimated at about 12%

I have indicated with a '**' the minute periods where rates for me were the
highest.  For my perception, the magnitudes around the time of maximum
activity were fainter, and the meteors brightened up again later in the night.

It was a most enjoyable evening of meteors!  I faced just about due east for
the night, and was about halfway between a group of observers set up in the
lee of an old abandoned stone building and a group set up in the shelter of
a neighbouring hill.  My location was the windiest, so nobody else wanted
it.  I love wind, though, and it wasn't cold, so I set up by myself there
for the evening.  It had a wonderful horizon, from north through to south,
overlooking the sparkling orange lights of about half a dozen tiny little
Spanish towns far below us in the valley.  The mountains rimmed the horizons
all around us.  I took out my little radio, put on some catchy tunes, and
tapped my toes to the music and the meteors all evening...

I found it interesting to see so many neat orange meteors near the beginning
of the night.  I very rarely see colour in meteors, so it was a real treat.
There was an especially beautiful one at 0019, orange with a tinge of blue,
and teardrop shaped.  I ran several cameras during the evening, so am hoping
for some possible interesting exposures.

My impression of the max?  Well, I differ here in my response from probably
the rest of the crew, judging from what I've read so far.  I wouldn't call
it 'dazzling' and 'overwhelming' as some others have done, and jump up and
down and yell.  I suppose it all depends on your perception.  I found it an
interesting display, very lovely, very delicate with all the faint meteors
and their trains.  It was so beautiful to watch, with the mountains all
around, the meteors ahead, and the soft orange lights of the towns below.
The wind just howled around me, and it was wonderful just to be all by
myself out under the stars watching the meteors fall.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank those persons who extended
their hospitality to me for this trip over to Europe.  Without their
kindness, I would not have been able to see these Leonids.  Many thanks to
Bob Lunsford, Sirko Molau and his parents, Jurgen Rendtel and Manuela,
Rainer Arlt, Ina Rendtel, Marc Gyssens, and Ralf Koschack.  It was wonderful
to meet you all!

- Cathy Hall
  in the Great White North
  Ottawa, Canada
  observing from near Malaga, Spain

Summary of rates and average magnitudes:
(detailed report to follow the antihistamines...)

Time               LEO     /hr     avg mag  breaks

2300-0000        1       1        -
0000-0100        7       7        2.1           2min break

0100-0101        1       60      3.5
0101-0102        3       180    3.8
0102-0103        2       120    1.3
0103-0104        0       0        -
0104-0105        1       60      2.5
0105-0106        1       60      0.5
0106-0107        1       60      3.5
0107-0108        2       120    2.8
0108-0109        0       0        -
0109-0110        1       60      2.5
0110-0111        1       60      3.0
0111-0112        1       60      -3.0
0112-0113        1       60      1.5
0113-0114        0       0         -
0114-0115        2       120     .3
0115-0116        1       60      3.5
0116-0117        0       0        -
0117-0118        3       180    3.5
0118-0119        1       60      2.0
0119-0120        5       300    3.4
0120-0121        2       120    4.5
0121-0122        2       120    4.0
0122-0123        4       240    1.9
0123-0124        1       60      3.0
0124-0125        4       240    2.8
0125-0126        4       240    2.9
0126-0127        0       0        -
0127-0128        2       120    2.8
0128-0129        7       420    2.6
0129-0130        6       360    3.2
0130-0131        1       60      3.0
0131-0132        9       540    3.5
0132-0133        6       360    2.8
0133-0134        10     600    3.8
0134-0135        1       60      4.5
0135-0136        12     720    2.7 **
0136-0137        5       300    4.2
0137-0138        0       0        -
0138-0139        6       360    3.1
0139-0140        1       60      -1.0
0140-0141        6       360    2.1
0141-0142        6       360    3.9
0142-0143        12     720    3.8 **
0143-0144        4       240    2.8
0144-0145        10     600    3.0
0145-0146        10     600    3.5
0146-0147        6       360    4.2
0147-0148        6       360    2.9
0148-0149        10     600    3.6
0149-0150        15     900    3.9 **
0150-0151        6       360    3.3
0151-0152        6       360    3.4
0152-0153        20     1200  4.3 **
0153-0154        9       540    3.4
0154-0155        8       480    3.0
0155-0156        8       480    4.0
0156-0157        13     780    3.5 **
0157-0158        15     900    3.5 **
0158-0159        9       540    3.8
0159-0200        25     1500  3.8 **
0200-0201        8       480    3.4          .5 min break
0201-0202        7       420    2.7          .5 min break
0202-0203        13     780    3.6 **
0203-0204        18     1080  4.1 **
0204-0205        18     1080  3.9 **
0205-0206        10     600    3.6
0206-0207        14     840    3.8 **
0207-0208        11     660    4.2
0208-0209        18     1080  3.5 **
0209-0210        10     600    4.0
0210-0211        15     900    3.7 **
0211-0212        19     1140  3.8 **
0212-0213        10     600    3.0
0213-0214        15     900    3.8 **
0214-0215        3       180    3.8           .5min break
0215-0216        9       540    4.2
0216-0217        5       300    3.5
0217-0218        14     840    3.4 **
0218-0219        6       360    3.8
0219-0220        11     660    2.8
0220-0221        1       60      3.5
0221-0222        25     1500  3.3 **
0222-0223        8       480    2.7
0223-0224        11     660    3.3
0224-0225        10     600    3.1
0225-0226        8       480    3.5
0226-0227        8       480    3.3
0227-0228        2       120    3.3
0228-0229        9       540    3.4
0229-0230        6       360    3.6
0230-0231        3       180    4.0
0231-0232        9       540    3.6
0232-0233        2       120    2.5
0233-0234        5       300    3.8
0234-0235        2       120    3.3
0235-0236        0       0        -              1min break
0236-0237        10     600    3.2
0237-0238        5       300    2.2
0238-0239        2       120    3.0
0239-0240        3       180    2.2
0240-0241        1       60      3.0
0241-0242        7       420    3.2
0242-0243        0       0        -
0243-0244        7       420    4.1
0244-0245        9       540    2.8
0245-0246        4       240    1.8
0246-0247        2       120    4.0
0247-0248        1       60      4.5
0248-0249        10     600    3.1
0249-0250        5       300    2.6
0250-0251        6       360    3.3
0251-0252        0       0        -
0252-0253        6       360    3.0
0253-0254        1       60      0.0
0254-0255        3       180    4.3
0255-0256        4       240    2.5
0256-0257        2       120    3.0
0257-0258        7       420    2.9
0258-0259        2       120    0.5
0259-0300        6       360    3.1
0300-0301        4       240    3.5
0301-0302        2       120    3.0
0302-0303        4       240    2.9
0303-0304        0       0        -
0304-0305        0       0        -           1min break
0305-0306        3       180    1.8
0306-0307        2       120    3.3
0307-0308        0       0        -           1min break
0308-0309        0       0        -           1min break
0309-0310        8       480    2.6
0310-0311        0       0        -
0311-0312        0       0        -
0312-0313        3       180    3.8
0313-0314        2       120    2.5
0314-0315        2       120    2.5
0315-0316        1       60      4.0
0316-0317        1       60      4.0
0317-0318        9       540    3.6
0318-0319        5       300    3.6
0319-0320        4       240    2.0
0320-0321        1       60      3.0
0321-0322        2       120     -0.5
0322-0323        4       240     2.9
0323-0324        0       0         -          1min break
0324-0325        2       120     0.5
0325-0326        2       120     0.5
0326-0327        6       360     4.2
0327-0328        4       240     2.9
0328-0329        3       180     2.7
0329-0330        5       300     3.1
0330-0331        3       180     3.0
0331-0332        0       0         -
0332-0333        2       120     2.3
0333-0334        2       120     2.0
0334-0335        2       120     2.0
0335-0336        1       60       4.0
0336-0337        1       60       2.0
0337-0338        1       60       2.0
0338-0339        0       0         -
0339-0340        1       60       2.0
0340-0341        0       0         -
0341-0342        1       60       2.5
0342-0343        2       120     2.0
0343-0344        0       0         -
0344-0345        4       240     1.6
0345-0346        3       180     1.5
0346-0347        0       0         -
0347-0348        1       60       2.5
0348-0349        1       60       2.0
0349-0350        0       0         -
0350-0351        3       180     3.0
0351-0352        0       0         -
0352-0353        1       60       3.5
0353-0354        1       60       3.0
0354-0355        0       0         -
0355-0356        0       0         -
0356-0357        0       0         -
0357-0358        2       120     2.5
0358-0359        0       0         -
0359-0400        0       0         -
0400-0401        3       180     2.7      .5min break

0401-0423        7       19       3.6      5min break