[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) ARCHIVE RESEND: [IMO-News] Leonids, 17/18 Nov 1999, Belgium

------- Forwarded Message

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1999 13:03:31 -0500
From: paul roggemans <100427.3075@compuserve.com>
To: imo-news@egroups.com
Subject: [IMO-News] Warning: could not send message for past

The original message was received at Thu, 18 Nov 1999 15:28:52 -0500 (EST)
from mailgate@localhost

Despite apparently hopeless bad weather over Belgium on November 17, the sky
cleared out and it was impossible not to notice the unusual meteor activity
in the light polluted city sky. Around 2h UT the Leonids performed in a
spectacular way and as the sky had improved so much I decided to attempt
counting: these are my results:

Observing place Mechelen Belgium 4d28' E , 51d00' N

Nov.18 02h02 - 02h19 20% cloud lm = 5.0  0.28 h   99 Leonids 1 non Leonid
Nov.18 02h20 - 03h00 30% cloud lm = 4,75 0.67 h   90 Leonids 2 non Leonid

The best rates I have ever seen under such poor sky conditions! The lm was
very variable during the observed period due to illuminated low passing thin
clouds and this makes the lm value uncertain and likely biased by the better
values in the most transparant parts of the sky.

I had the feeling to see a replay of the 1993-Perseids which I observed at
their best under almost perfect sky, but the current Leonid display was seen
under poor circumstances. The 'real' Leonid rates at perfect sky may have
been well 10x higher. Despite a good number of bright Leonids, mostly faint
Leonids were counted and fireballs were completely absent as seen from here.

After 3h UT more clouds moved in but the number of Leonids was much lower.

Through this way I wish to express my gratitude to the IMO-staff for their
fast, effective reporting service, which is a tremendeous effort. Thanks
also to the enthousiastic observing groups worldwide who report to the IMO!
This is a situation meteor astronomers could only dream about as little as
10 years ago.

Paul Roggemans

------- End of Forwarded Message