[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonids from Arizona and question

Hello
I just wanted to add my observations to the group and ask a photo
question.
We traveled to Arizona from Seattle to avoid the clouds and were very
lucky to be the guests of the Phoenix east valley Astronomers at their
dark sky site 30 miles east of Phoenix near Florence junction. After the
radiant rose we started seeing about 2-3 Leonids per minute with
multiples every now and then. There was a definite lull (about 1 every 5
minutes) from 1030-1130 UT and then an increase back to 1-2 every minute
around 1200UT.
I was very disappointed with my photos. I had a few meteors pass through
my photographic field but none were recorded on the film. I used a 24mm
lens and Royal gold 400 at f/2.8 and thought that would catch some but I
was shut out. We had some -2 to -4 meteors that left trails for a couple
seconds but none showed on the film, not sure what I did wrong. Is this
film too slow for meteors? Anyone have success with a similar setup?

Dale Ireland
47.7N 122.7W
Astronomy Page http://www.drdale.com
Comets, Satellites, Eclipses, Photography, Fabrications