[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Leonids from Arizona and question

For meteor photography, I usually go for the films with the highest
reciprocity failure possible. Although the sensitivity goes down for
most long exposure subjects, meteors are not affected by this. When
it comes to meteors, one will usually hope to keep the shutter open
for as long as possible without the film fogging up, for a higher
chance of catching meteors. I find black & white films are better at
this, although color films can be more visually interesting.

For the Leonids this year, I tried black & white Tri-X (400), since
it is often referred to as one of the highest reciprocity failure
film.

During the peak night, I would often forget about my camera as I was
too busy gazing at all the meteors. The result was excessive
exposures and I initially feared they would be washed out by sky
glow, and take away any potential meteors. Well, I just got back the
negatives today, and a quick glance reveals a handful of Leonids on
each photos, cutting through reaaalllly long star trails!

Pierre

Kevin K wrote:

>Another thing, I don't know if it was brought up, is reciprocity failure,
>which means the longer you leave the aperature open the less sensitive the
>film becomes. So a 400 ASA film may be down to ASA 20 after a certain amount
>of time. I don't have the times nor films memorized but Kodak sells a little
>manual with information like this for all their films.
>
>Kevin K

Follow-Ups: References: