[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Fwd: [Leonid peak from North Central PA, USA]

------- Forwarded Message

From: "T. M." <zormsk@bigfoot.com>
To: <meteorobs@jovian.com>
Subject: Re: meteorobs-digest V3 #188
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 08:52:15 -0500

At sunset on Nov 17th here in northcentral PA (USA), it was very cloudy. By
9pm EST it was clear and moonlit.

A couple friends and I hit a nearby mountain for some qualitative observing
time. Spectacularly clear night with a handful of faint, fast sporadics
early. The moon finally set around 1am EST and the sky became even more
spectacular. Finally, the Leonids appeared, bright (like Jupiter) and with
short duration trains illuminated by the moon in hiding. Not a storm; not
even the equivalent of a decent Geminid shower, but satisfying in its own
way. We watched the relatively sparse show in 17 degree (F) temperatures
until both our patience and our bottle of Hot Damn Cinnamon Schnappes ran
out.

I write this at 8:45 am EST with brilliant sunshine flooding through my
window. I'm tired, but happy, a strange, but pleasant incongruity.

Storms to you all...
zak

------- End of Forwarded Message