[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

RE: (meteorobs) WELCOME TO NEW 'meteorobs' SUBSCRIBERS!

Hi,

I posted a question (or a series of them, really) back on the 18th or 19th
that never received a response, I suppose either because no one had an
answer at hand, or because it got buried in the volume of messages, or
because I just got too long-winded in framing it.  So here it is again,
somewhat more condensed.

I was on the wrong side of the planet this year to see the storm, but I
watched last year's fireball display from California's Central Valley and
was suitably awed.  History tells us that we can expect meteor storms like
this year's Leonids a handfull of times per century.  What I'd like to know
is how common or uncommon is a display like last year's?  More specifically,
how often would one expect to see a display of over 100 meteors per hour
where the distribution of intensities is as heavily skewed towards the
fireball range as we saw last year?

I'm trying to convince my friend who accompanied me on last year's driving
odyssey that although what we saw was not as dramatic as a storm of over
1000 meteors per hour, it was nevertheless something far more unusual.  Am I
off base here?

Anyone have a histogram plot of the brightnesses within last year's display,
this year's display, and the average Leonid display?  Does the method of
Asher make a prediction for the brightness distribution to be expected in
2002?  Of the 25,000 meteors per hour they're predicting at maximum in 2002,
how many will be bright enough to see over a full moon?

Thanks for any responses to any of this.

-Robert Hayden