[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Nov. 16 Fireball/Re-entry: UFO madness

>Can anyone tell me how to distinguish a major bolide from a
>spacecraft re-entry (in general terms)?

PS: David, this topic was discussed in detail on 'meteorobs' some
months back: search the archive for the whole story. Short answer,
though: reentries appear VERY slow relative to celestial meteors;
they often exhibit colors toward the red end of the spectrum; and
they are often observed over great angular distances. They may or
may not be more likely to be seen going West to East, but this is
unreliable: 1) there are polar satellites, 2) untrained witnesses
will often say this of any meteor NOT travelling North to South!

Clear skies!
Lew Gramer