[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Leonid peak, Lewisberry PA USA

------- Forwarded Message

From: YoungBob2@aol.com
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 16:47:11 EST
Subject: Re: East Coast Activity
To: meteorobs@jovian.com, meteorobs-digest@jovian.com

Ladies & Gentlemen:

    I saw a nice display this morning from the Astronomical Society of
Harrisburg's observatory near Lewisberry, PA, limiting mag 5.  A beautiful,
cold night.  Must have missed the peak, I arrived after 2:00 Local Time and
for the first 20 minutes of counting they were coming about 1 a minute, then
40 minutes for the next 10.  After a break the same approximate rate
continued from 9:10 until 10:10 UT, almost the beginning of morning AT.  The
drop in numbers about UT 8:00 was really noticeable. I was actually thinking,
where did they go?

    Not like '66, when I saw the storm from Fort Gordon, GA, during Army
Basic Training.  Through holes in about 75% cloud cover there were several
simultaneously.  As dawn broke the numbers grew.  I remember standing in line
outsite the mess hall and everyone else was already bored with the "shooting
stars", but I stood there with my mouth open.  Oh, well, 2032 anyone? (e-mail
me, then, I probably will be only lurking!)

    Robert R. Young  76 deg, 56' W, 40 deg, 8' N.

LM 5.0 (IMO Area #4) View East +60 deg

UT 7:40-8:40    28 Leonids, 1 Taurid, 2 Other

UT 9:10-10:10   19 Leonids, 2 Taurids, 1 Other

------- End of Forwarded Message