[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonids Meteor Colors

Dear David,

Many thanks for your reply and suggestion for a reason for meteor color
differentiation during the peak of the 1999 Leonids meteor shower.

However, I doubt it that it was reciprocity failure the reason for the
color change during the meteor shower. To start with, my exposures were
neither too short nor too long, the longest being 12 minutes. For ASA 400
film under dark skies and relative low humidity, hence not much background
scattered light, it is not excessively long.

Secondly, different meteor colors are evident in the numerous photographs
of the event I have seen so far, taken by different photographers from
various locations. It is not conceivable that all of them encountered the
same failure.

Finally, reciprocity failure would have affected the negatives in a
consistent pattern, thus I should have noticed consistent color bias
(taking into account that most pictures were exposed for almost the same
amount of time). As different meteor colors are evident from frame to
frame, this possibility has to be ruled out.

I am afraid that the phenomenon is real, hence the explanation should be
sought in the physics of meteor streams or related to atmospheric entry
angle or velocity.

Best regards,

Ilan Manulis

Head of the Small Solar System Objects Section
The Israeli Astronomical Association