[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) AMO activity (was Re: Sporadics from Gemini)

That's interesting, Wayne - I had some very surprising AMO counts during that
week: on peak night (17/18), I logged 16 in just under six hours! They were
uniformly faint, though: avg mag 3.34 (vs. 3.25 for Sporadics), and only two
brighter than 2nd magnitude. The previous night (16/17) I had similar results:
14 AMOs in 5.8 hours, avg mag 4.11 (Spor 3.67), brightest was mag 2.

This corresponds to a ZHR well above 3 according to IMO methods - but only if
you assume an 'r' for AMOs much higher than the published 2.4! I wonder if a
higher-than-expected 'r' for this shower (a mighty coincidence, happening at
the same time as a high-'r' outburst of the Leonids!) might explain your (and
most folks in the Eastern US) much lower counts of the AMOs during these days?

Mark Davis, what other data have you gotten on the AMOs these two days?

Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: