[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminids

In French it does not work either since Universal Time is translated as "Temps
Universel", and Coordinated Universal Time is "Temps Universel Coordonné", or
TUC if we give it a direct acronym.  So perhaps UTC is just Universal Time
Coordinated.  I used to know it as simply UT, Universal Time.

Steve Dearden,
Belchertown, Massachusetts.

Steve Harrison wrote:

> At 10:22 PM 1999-11-30 EST, Rowan1955@aol.com wrote:
> >I was able to see some Leonids but things look better on the East coast USA
> >for Geminds. How do I convert UT time to Zulu
>
> UTC *IS* Zulu time. They're just different names for one another. I believe
> the "Zulu" came from military abbreviation. UTC, meaning Universal
> Coordinated Time (probably correctly stated in French since the initials
> seem as if they should be UCT) was adopted worldwide some 15 or 20+ years
> ago instead of saying "Greenwich Mean Time", abbreviated GMT, which is what
> everybody used to say. UTC came out of the effort to coordinate worldwide
> standard names for measurement units. So UTC, Zulu, and GMT are all the
> same time zone, which is that of the Greenwich Observatory in England.
>
> > or East Coast EST USA
>
> Eastern Standard Time is 5 hours BEHIND UTC; thus, 0500Z (which is how 0500
> UTC is usually abbreviated) is actually 0000 EST, or midnight. Since UTC
> has no daylight savings time, then when the US shifts to daylight savings
> time in the spring ("spring ahead"), 0500Z becomes 0100 EDST, or one hour
> AFTER midnight Eastern time.
>
> SteveH
> Shrewsbury MA

Follow-Ups: References: