[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Geminids

At 07:54 PM 1999-11-30 -0500, you wrote:
>In French it does not work either since Universal Time is translated as
"Temps
>Universel", and Coordinated Universal Time is "Temps Universel Coordonné", or
>TUC if we give it a direct acronym.  So perhaps UTC is just Universal Time
>Coordinated.  I used to know it as simply UT, Universal Time.

It's been years since I've been able to hear the National Institute of
Science and Technology (NIST) time stations, WWV or WWVH, reliably. But the
old morse code geomagnetic propagation codes, and the later shift to
"Universal Coordinated Time" on voice, still rings in my head.

But you are correct about "Universal Time" being abgreviated UT: my ITT
handbook "Reference Data for Radio Engineers" refers to a number of UT
systems in use, with various suffixes affixed after UT to denote which
system is under consideration. For example: "Mean solar rotation derived
from uncorrected astronomical observations is denoted UT0 (UT-zero),".

Further along in chapter one is this: "Both WWV and WWVH broadcast voice
announcements of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) each minute,". So, it
appears my memory of the voice announcement as "Universal Coordinated Time"
is in error (what'd they say is the second thing to go after memory?? ;o))

SteveH
Shrewsbury MA