[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) BRIGHT NOVA SIGHTED IN AQUILA!

First . . . my apologies for posting a non-meteor-related message, but this
might turn out to be something rather special.

I have just received word that a nova -- an exploding star -- has suddenly
flared to naked-eye brightness in the constellation of Aquila (the Eagle).
According to the Central Bureau of Astronomical Telegrams (IAU
Circ. 7323 - http://cfa-www.harvarddot edu/iau/cbat.html) Alfredo
Pereira (AAVSO member, active observer, and a visual nova searcher) at
Cabo da Roca, Portugal discovered this bright nova during his visual
search in Aquila on Dec. 1.785 UT (18h 50m UT or 1:50 p.m. EST) at about
magnitude 6.0.

Precise position of Nova Aql 1999, No. 2 reported by D. Di Cicco
(Sudbury, MA) is:

   R.A. = 19h 23m 05s.38
   Decl.= +04 57' 20".1    (Equinox 2000.0)

This position places the nova almost directly in the center of the
constellation Aquila, less than 2 degrees north of the star Delta Aquilae
(magnitude 3.36).

Visual observations since discovery range from magnitude 5.8 to 5.1,
suggesting that the nova may be in the process of brightning rapidly.
Observers are urged to look for this new object immediately after nightfall
on Thursday.  It should be favorably placed, approximately 40 degrees up in
the southwest sky about an hour after sundown . . . not setting until roughly
three hours later.

-- joe rao