[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Hi to all of you

Hi Philipp!!

Great to have you on board.  Actually, it sounds like you are doing just
fine on the sky familarity thing.  At least, it sure sounds like me when I
was first getting acquainted with the sky 50+ years ago, and a couple of
weeks ago too, when I was trying to find a constellation I hadn't found
before.  As you come to realize which of your guesses are correct you
gradually build a base of familarity from which to extend into new
territory.  You can do this in a night, or in 50+ years like me.  I have
never wanted to rush learning everything there is to know, because I wanted
to keep the special thrill of discovery alive in the night sky for me.  So
far, after many years of being a "professional" astronomer, it is still
with me I'm happy to say.  Of course, I haven't learned very much of what
there is to know, but that's the way it goes.  You are doing everything
just right!! Keep searching for those books, and if you come across a copy
of Norton's Star Atlas I think you will be in good shape for really firming
up your knowledge of the "Firmament". You need to do that anyway so you can
get a handle on the idea of a meteor radiant being named for some
constellation or star/constellation.  My copy of Norton's is all messed up
with penciled in traces of meteors and radiant points and stuff.  You can't
help but have a great time in anything you do in astronomy, especially as
long as you keep that special feeling towards the night sky that you get
when you are connecting with it a star at a time like you are doing right
now!!!

Keep up the great work!!!

All the Best

Jim Wray