[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: good Dec minor showers+more

There have been a couple of mentions recently of Sigma Hydrids and
Monocerotids being very minor showers during the Geminid period.  Actually,
I find these two minors to be the best of the year visible from Florida
latitudes.  It is not unusual for both of them to produce 4 meteors in an
hour.  Several times they have been to 5 or 6/hr, and one time I saw 7 Sigma
Hydrids within a single hour.  Any time I exceed 2/hr from a minor shower is
pleasing.

There is no need to fixate on any particular time for Geminid maximum.  The
peak period is relatively broad -- a full day wide -- so everybody in the
world can see the peak rate.  This is demonstrated to be true by my
achieving very consistent 80-85/hr top rates from the Geminids every year
that the moon has been absent.  Occasionally I am able to crack 90/hr ; and
only once, in 1979, I zoomed to 103/hr.   Observers seeing more than these
have above-average perception.  Dec 9/10 I expect about 5 Geminids/hr, then
the rate doubles each succeeding night up to the maximum.  It is an
asymmetrical activity curve -- right after max the bottom falls out, down to
only 20/hr (leap years excluded from this longitude).

The Air Force is naming the meteor storms like hurricanes, e.g. Leonid.  It
should be called  "the Leonids."  The term  "Leonid"  would be either a
single meteor from that shower or an adjective.

Don't forget to use the Big Dipper as a guide to other stars.  The first
thing I learned was the sweep of the handle curving down to reach Arcturus
and Spica; take it further down through Corvus and the Southern Cross.
Several other lineups of Dipper stars point to bright stars also.  Learn all
of  the brightest stars, with their accompanying constellations, first.
With those anchor points and areas fixed, the fainter ones fall into place.
This also needs to be accomplished before even attempting to use a telescope
on anything besides the moon, or else frustration will set in almost
immediately.

Some people living in the U.S. have written to New Mexico tourist agencies
asking for information about the nation of New Mexico.

Norman

Norman W. McLeod III
Staff Advisor
American Meteor Society