[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: (meteorobs) Star Maps

Dear Robert and Meteorobs

The new map has only one general latitude (you must have been at just the
right latitude so that it worked for your location), the old one was
published in several versions. In the US there is a big difference between
Florida and Maine as far as star maps go. In addition he has made changes
in the horizons that we dislike.

The smaller size is no help either necause everything is harder to read. He
also removed many star names-all the important second  magnitude stars,
which for a beginner (and you were suggesting these for new observers) that
change is most unfortunate.

We use star maps with about 350 beginning astronomy students a semester and
believe me the differences have jumped out at us. Maybe they do not matter
to you but I now can not advise using his map.

Clear Skies,

Terry

>Dear Terry: I am quite concerned that I had recommended Sky and Telescope as a
>source of these Planispheres since indeed the David Chandler ones are at the
>top of their list.  I have two of these by Chandlers.  One is very old and dog
>eared and the other is new purchased last month at Joshua Tree National
>Monument.  They are hard to compare because one is 8" and the old one is 10".
>However I cannot find any problem with either of them and I know the results I
>obtained using them for the Geminids agree as close as can be expected with my
>very accurate analysis of times that the radiant will be on the local
>meridian.  I would be very anxious to learn about your objections. I am
>looking
>foreword to hearing from you.
>                                                        Sincerely Robert
>Gardner
>
>Terry Richardson wrote:
>
>> Regarding the rotating star maps DO NOT get the one called The Night Sky by
>> David Chandler. I believe it is (or at least was) one of the ones sold by
>> Sky and Telescope. It used to be one of the very best maps but the new
>> editon is not very good. I called him to discuss the changes and he had no
>> good reason for having made them but they make the map much less useful for
>> star identification and meteor work.
>>
>> It is a shame that such a good map got ruined in the update.
>>
>> Clear skies,
>>
>> Terry
>>
>> To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>> http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html
>

>To UNSUBSCRIBE from the 'meteorobs' email list, use the Web form at:
>http://www.tiacdot net/users/lewkaren/meteorobs/subscribe.html

Follow-Ups: References: