[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: Leonid max in Florida+more

Norman McLeod wrote:
>My -6 was at 435 AM EST  (935 UT).  I missed your  -8.  What was the color
>on yours?  Mine was about 30o up in the west, so out over the Gulf...

Here's the line from my IMO report on this one...

>>Time         Mag              Shwr              Train   Comments
>>08:10:34     -8               LEO               50      Terminal burst

Weirdly enough, I logged no color for it! Going purely on memory, I recall
that the final few degrees (containing the terminal burst) were orange. So
was the long-duration train, at least during the initial second or so!

It was low and nearly due South of me. Was sure the NASA team in the Keys
saw it, but it must've been behind trees to their North, or else they all
had their eyes on computer screens and video gizmos at that moment!

As I recall, the terminal burst occured *perhaps* 15o SSW of Sirius - so
I guess in Columba - at an altitude of about 30o. Maybe too far South for
you, Norm? Surprised I missed your -6, also - but I was also facing East
all night, mainly out of laziness! Didn't want to move after moonset. :>

PS: One final tragic episode from my Leonid adventure that week: I had
a box nearly full of Entenmann's chocolate donuts in my car during the
final, mostly cloudy night (18/19 Nov) in the Keys. I'd cracked my car
window after an unfortunate incident involving carkeys, running engines
and AAA... Well, a very SMALL critter must have found his way through
that window crack, and managed to drag my donuts right off the dash! I
found the remnants in the sand later: the worst loss of the campaign...

Clear skies,
Jim