[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Brightest lunar meteors probably large

     The objects that caused the brightest flashes that
we observed were probably a few hundred kilograms,
according to the messages below, since very little of the
impact energy is converted into light.  I've added a few
comments about the observations in the messages, using
" - " to preface my remarks.
     There was a suggestion that sunglints from
artificial satellites might be involved, but this is
unlikely since the observations were made late at night
local time when most of these would be deep in the Earth's
shadow.  Also, with six events simultaneously recorded
at two or more separated locations, the chances are
much greater that they are lunar phenomena than something
closer.  In the cases where lunar location information is
available in the separate video records, there is also
good agreement.
     Brian Cudnik reports that he observed from the
Houston Astronomical Society's site near Columbus, TX,
at long. 96 deg. 39' 50" W., lat. 29 deg. 37' 07" N.,
h 98m, about 100 km west of downtown Houston.
     There are many previous observations of probable
lunar impacts, although none of them apparently were
confirmed.  Many of these were published in a NASA
Technical Report on transient lunar phenomena that is
on the Web at http://www.mufor.org/tlp/lunar.html
One can also find there a link to a modern (about one
year old) effort to videorecord TLP's simultaneously
from different locations, a "lunascan" project, which
has other useful links, but so far they don't have
news of the Nov. 18th lunar impacts.  Apparently their
project has concentrated more on the terminator and
sunlit side of the Moon.  Also, published in the
Proceedings of the 48th convention of the Association
of Lunar and Planetary Observers (Las Cruces, NM,
June 25-29, 1997) is a good paper by John Westfall
on "Worthy of Resurrection: Two Past ALPO Lunar
Projects", including one on "Lunar Meteor Search"
that includes a table of meteor size, frequency,
flash magnitude, and crater diameter that is in
rather good agreement with the messages below, as
well as a good history of efforts up to 1997.
     Does anyone know of a Web (or other) reference to
an account of the large impact observed by Canterbury
monks in 1178 that apparently caused the near-far-
side crater Bruno?  That's probably the first observation
of a lunar impact, although not confirmed from
observations elsewhere.
     David Dunham, 1999 Dec. 7