[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Eyes vs. telescopes (was Re: (meteorobs) Meteor observing food)

>that stuff[...] interferes with the actual viewing. I am not even taking
>the telescopes and binoculars this time, because it also took away from
>actual viewing time. This time we believe it is going to be serious, so we
>plan to view view view!!!

This was great, Stephanie - sounds like your group has really been bitten
by the meteor-observing (and recording?) bug! :) I definitely advise not
bringing your scope - ESPECIALLY if you are a deep-sky buff like me... I
can't count all the times I've cut meteor-observing down to just an hour
or two because I just HAD to take advantage of those transparent skies to
view galaxy clusters or other non-ephemeral phenomena. What I experience
afterward is something I call "Deep Sky Guilt" - and it's a scourge! :)

BTW, you MAY want to keep binoculars handy by your observing chair: I do
this even during serious major shower observing sessions, just in case I
am privileged to witness a really long-duration persistent train... Any
train lasting longer than 30 seconds to the naked-eye is very tempting to
view with binoculars: Once in a GREAT while, these long-duration trains
can be followed in the binocs for several minutes or more...

Clear skies for the Geminids, and be sure to let us know what you see!

Lew Gramer

Follow-Ups: References: