[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

(meteorobs) Re: meteor observing food plus. Mostly plus!

Thank you very much for the welcome Mark!

   For the Perseids I usually have 2 viewing nights. The "less serious"
observing party is often the largest. I place it on a Friday or Saturday night
as close to peak as possible, taking the "moon factor" into account.  We usually
put out a full spread. This has to include thick steamy chili! Summer Pizza is
also a favorite. The party has been evolving for 25 years and has become pretty
elaborate. In the evening we often have live music and my friend Eric Mantel, an
incredible Guitarist, provides more intimate acoustic fare. There is a separate
viewing area which allows us to have a large bonfire that doesn't interfere with
observing. I provide a 12 1/2 inch "Magellan aimed" Dob. Camping is permitted in
the front yard with several open tents available for people who just decide to
crash. A portapotty, clean up station and canopied areas are provided as well.
These thing allow people to have a good time even if there are clouds or rain.
   If circumstances require there is a less elaborate  "more serious" viewing
the night of the peak.

  I will be sending out a posting prior to the 2000 shower.